Santa Clara Elementary School in Tucson, Arizona, needed an upgrade for its heavily trafficked and worn resilient floors. Important to the process, the school sought a cost-effective solution to renew and upgrade the floor over the summer break, allowing a smooth kick off to the 2021 school year. Earlier in the year, a demonstration of the Bona Commercial System® Resilient Floor Solution was conducted for the school. This led the school to choose the Bona Commercial System Resilient Floor Solution to upgrade the floors without the expense, environmental damage, and landfill waste associated with ripping out the existing floor.
The Bona Commercial System Resilient Floor Solution offered a cost savings of $40,000 compared to a standard new floor installation process.
After years of wear and tear, the floor was dirty and damaged from the high volume of foot traffic throughout the school year. The damage to the floor created a dangerous and unsafe environment for the students. When it came time to renew the floor, the school wanted a cost-effective process that included environmentally safe products and could be completed over summer break. The school also needed a durable, monolithic floor surface that can withstand the harsh chemicals and hand sanitizers the school utilizes on a daily basis.
- Wet abrade the floor—Wet abrade the floor with Bona FlexiSand DCS® Buffer, Bona Multidisc drive plate, and 80-grit Bona Diamond Abrasives.
- Clean the floor—Clean the floor with Bona Commercial System® Multi- Surface Mop Kit, Bona Commercial System® Hard-Surface Floor Cleaner.
- Apply base color—Once dry, apply one coat of Bona Commercial System® Resilient Floor Base Color – Warm Pewter.
- Apply color chips—While apply Bona Commercial System® Resilient Floor Base Color, Bona Commercial System® Color Chips 0 White and True Blue were added.
- Apply clear coat—Once Bona Commercial System® Resilient Floor Base Color and Color Chips were dry, two coats of Bona Commercial System® Resilient Floor Clear Coat were applied.
“Another principal in our school district has seen pictures of this project and is anxiously waiting for the opportunity to have their floors upgraded.” — Manuel Portillo, Maintenance Custodian Supervisor
By completing the floor with the Bona Commercial System® Resilient Floor Solution, Sunnyside School District noticed a vast difference at the Santa Clara Elementary School between the floors at the beginning and the end result. The school district was so pleased with the cost and time savings of this renewal that five other schools will have their floors renewed with the Bona Commercial System Resilient Floor Solution.
By using the Bona Commercial System® Resilient Floor Solution, Santa Clara Elementary School realized the following benefits:
Cost savings—The Bona Commercial System® Resilient Floor Solution offered a cost savings
of $40,000 compared to a standard floor installation process.
Beautiful and durable—The updated resilient floor provided a beautiful, cohesive design that will be able to withstand the heavy foot traffic when students and staff returned for the school year. The durable, monolithic floor will provide longevity to the floor and will remove the need to strip or burnish ever again.
Sustainable—By completing the floors with the Bona Commercial System® Resilient Floor Solution, Sunnyside School District was able to decrease the amount of toxic stripper and other environmentally harmful products. The Bona Commercial System Resilient Floor Solution also allowed the decreased usage of water and landfill waste.